Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Style Arc Logan Shacket

Why this project? Lighter jacket weather is on its way. This fabric was bought a year ago with a differnt jacket in mind. At first it was meant for the Sewing Workshop Haiku, then later on their Tremont. A window display convinced me that a little less volume would be a good idea. I like back details, like Logan's curved yoke, so it was my pick.
One day those display grids will be stored someplace else

Sizing: straight size 16 based on my full bust measurement.

Fabric: heavy but loosely woven cotton with a lot of texture. Too ravelly for the felled seams intended. I ended up serging and topstitching. It's warmer than I expected and that's a good thing.

to show the texture
Alterations/Modifications: lengthened 1" at the hem. Eliminated the sleeve turn ups by shortening the sleeves 3". The chest pockets are really oversized, so I cut them out without the seam allowance, which reduced the width of each pocket by 3/4". No fancy fitting alterations!

Results: It's a versatile jacket. I really like it and am already wearing it a lot. If I had known how much I wad going to like it, I would have done a Hong Kong finish on the seams.

What's good about the pattern: It's a loose jacket so there didn't need to be a lot of fitting done. It was a little surprising to see how high the sleeve cap was for a style with an extended shoulder, but Style Arc got it right. Those sleeves hang nice and straight with no excess folds or twisting. 

What's bad about the pattern: Not really a pattern fault, but there is a collar stand and that needs to be taken into consideration when choosing the fabric. Mine was thick enough that even though construction of the stand was not a problem, putting a buttonhole in it was. In the end I left the button on the stand but picked out the buttonhole. It would never be worn buttoned all the way up, anyway.

back with deep curved yoke
Denouement: One day I hope to get a photo of myself wearing the jacket to update this blog entry. Meanwhile I wanted to get it written while it was still fresh in my mind. If shackets stay in style, I could see making another one. This would be so nice in a plaid with the yoke on the bias, or with some other treatment that brings more attention to that curved seam.



1 comment:

  1. Great topper. And perfect for coolish weather. I do love that yoke curve.

    ReplyDelete

Style Arc Montana x 2

The Montana dress is a popular pattern from Style Arc. The original pattern is similar to this version in blue, with a round neck, extended ...