Sunday, May 26, 2024

Style Arc Vivienne

This is a pattern for an A-line dress that has seams at center front and back, but no side seams. There is just one pattern piece plus facings and pockets, and it is laid out with the grainline going down the sides. The center front and back ends up at an angle, not on the true bias, giving an opportunity for a little stripe play. 

The V neck is extra easy to construct because of the center front seam. Mine looks like a rounded V because the fabric (a coarsely woven cotton/poly blend) is pretty thick. The V is narrow and sits very close to the neck. I like having that extra coverage over the shoulders and chest. It's higher in the back, too, than most other V necks.

The wide facings are topstitched down and the hem is faced.

I chose my size using the size chart and my full bust measurement and no adjustments. This is not a fitted style but because of the shape it is not boxy, either. Everything hangs from the shoulders and will be nice and cool in the summertime. Because my fabric was really ravelly, I left off the welt pockets.

topstitched facing

This was easy and fast to sew. The only tricky part was the first step, the shoulder seams. I kept attaching the wrong front to the wrong back. All that needs to be done is to fold each piece lengthwise and stitch the shoulders. Get that right and you are off to the races.

Another stripe version of this dress would be too repetitive, but it would be nice in a print or a solid. A solid would look good with either the welt pocket detail as designed, or angled patch pockets. If I make it again (probably will!) I'll raise the base of the armhole to guard against bra-flashing and lengthen a couple of inches. The dress hits me below the knee and I'd rather have it closer to a midi length.

Style Arc has a number of easy fitting dress patterns and I am really enjoying them! Even though there is a difference of two sizes between my top and bottom halves, I've been able to cut one straight size in each style I've tried so far. That streamlines the process and sure makes things easier. There's another one of their dresses on the work table just awaiting hemming and buttons/buttonholes that should be finished soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Style Arc Bonnie

Style Arc is really making me happy these days. Their Bonnie pattern has two views - one is a plain and very versatile top with darts - like...