Monday, August 12, 2024

Style Arc Marley


 


This is my second attempt with Marley and this time I didn't throw it in the trash!

The first experience was pure frustration. I was trying to follow the instructions which don't seem to match the drawings. The situation was complicated by the contrasting topstitching I was trying to do, so unpicking was a chore and left my fabric looking raggedy. That part was my own fault.

A clue for the future - the notches on the collar do not match to the notches on the body. They match to the shoulder seam, and the notches on the body match to the little half collar stand.

But I still liked the style and it was the type of top that fit perfectly in my travel wardrobe. I tried it again without any fancy touches. The instructions for the collar and center front still didn't make sense, but this time I just set them aside and did what needed to be done. 


Style Arc means for this pattern to be used either as a top or a light jacket. I will be thinking of using it whenever I want something sort of like a camp shirt. It has more shape (Style Arc describes it as boxy, but it does have gentle shaping) and is cuter than a camp shirt, but I would pair it with the same type of bottoms that a camp shirt would go with.

Shaping is achieved with a center back seam, bust darts, and side seam shaping. There are splits in the sleeve seams and at the sides like in the second photo. 3/4 sleeves. The collar has a little half-stand that is inserted in the back only. This is a touch I've liked on several Burda patterns that helps the collar stand up in the back. Thumbs up for that!

The pattern has a small extension at the center front that folds to the inside to make a narrow band. Unless it is buttoned all the way up, the wrong side of the fabric shows where the collar opens, something to keep in mind when choosing material. It would also be easy to draft a front facing that would cover that area.

My fabric is a seersucker from Miss Matatabi. The print is actually a darkish gray on off-white, which is nice. It gives the effect of black & white, but easier to wear for those of us with low-contrast coloring.

Alterations: lowered the bust point and added width at hip level on side and center back seams. Added width at the bicep, too. The sleeves were narrow, especially for something that you are supposed to be able to wear as a little jacket.

This is such a useful style that I'm sure I'll make again. Glad I gave it a second chance!


good length for Bob & Barry pants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Style Arc Bonnie

Style Arc is really making me happy these days. Their Bonnie pattern has two views - one is a plain and very versatile top with darts - like...