Saturday, January 13, 2024

Love Notions Coda


 Deadline sewing is usually not a good idea for me, but circumstances lined up just right to try to make a warm layer before some predicted cold weather arrives. There was a leftover chunk of heavy French terry in the stash, and there was the Coda Coat pattern that I wanted to check the fit on. The terry has zero stretch so the fact that it’s a knit wouldn’t make a difference. 

So here’s a Coda, size L at the shoulders and bust (used the standard bust piece) blended to an XL at the hip. It was lengthened 1-1/2 inches and there is a 3/8 inch forward shoulder adjustment. Added some additional length for a hem. Left off the sleeves to make a vest.

This works just fine with a center zipper, but there is not enough overlap to use a button or snap closing. One day I would like to make the pattern as it was intended, so maybe check out the full bust piece and see if that would solve the problem before making it again. I know how the hips and body fit, now.

The collar is just a rectangle the length of the neckline, after the center front was extended up to make a round neck. (And seam allowances added.)

I made good use of my sewing feet for the topstitching and also did plenty of hand basting, which paid off.  

Critiquing my work, I’d say that the armholes are a little too big, but that means it can be worn over bulky and oversized layers, so I’m not really bothered. 

Bring on those cold temperatures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Style Arc Montana x 2

The Montana dress is a popular pattern from Style Arc. The original pattern is similar to this version in blue, with a round neck, extended ...